As the Notore Channel suffers from high siltation, CARES completed a Dredging Optimisation Study to support the optimisation of dredging plans and budgets.
A key stage in this project was completing a siltation study. This resulted in developing an understanding of the processes and rates of siltation in the channel.
An understanding of the siltation regime was developed through a number of complimentary approaches:
- Differential Bathymetry Analysis
- Assessing the spatial pattern of sediment grain sizes
- Installing Metocean sensors and a weather station to collect and analyse time series data
- Measuring the spatial pattern of currents, temperature, salinity and turbidity during boat-based measurements
- 3D modelling using the Regional Ocean Modelling System (ROMS) to simulate sediment processes including current-induced bottom scour.
Based on this understanding recommendations have been made to optimise dredging.
CARES continue to support the Bonny Channel Company (BCC) in the development of the Bonny Waterways.